- Robot base 75% complete.
- Encoders tested and partially working.
- Successful measurement of PWM pulse width from accelerometer.
- Successful test of A2D code.
- Implementation of PID code.
- Creation and testing of tone detection circuit.
- Testing of IR detectors ability to find candle.
- Creation of mechanism to put out candle.
- Testing of route guidance code.
- Testing of I2C code.
After I finally got the PWM code working, I started testing closed loop PID control of wheel speed. However, I noticed that the encoder output was too erratic to be used. It would take too long to attempt to calibrate PWM values to match speeds for each motor, so I decided to halt further work on the robot and go around talking to other builders, taking pictures/video, and enjoying other parts of the competition.
I still plan on getting the robot balancing and doing to hallway following/obstacle avoidance behaviors. Once I get back home, complete my final exam project, and some other school related things, I’ll see if I can redo the wheel encoders (perhaps add pull-down resistors on the output lines). With working encoders, I can determine the necessary PID parameters for closed loop wheel speed control. From there, I can work on closed loop control balance control. Once the robot is balancing, I can test driving the robot around and then add the hallway following and obstacle avoidance behaviors.
My experience this year has taught me a lot. I’ll likely discuss some of that here as time progresses.